Thursday, October 20, 2011

Almond Puff Pastry

I made this yummy, awesome dessert today. I've had it several times at various occasions, but have never found or asked for the recipe. I crossed paths with this yumminess this past Sunday at church and decided to look for the recipe online. After searching, I found a recipe with a picture that looked fairly similar, so I decided to try it.


I found the original recipe on this website, but after making it, I need to tweak the recipe a bit, so I'll post it here as well. (The main reason for me writing this blog post is so I can find the recipe again if I need it. :) So without further adieu, here goes...


Almond Puff Pastry
Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cold butter, sliced into ½-inch slices
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend butter and flour with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cold water, and blend until dough forms into a ball (might have to use hands). Do not over-blend. Divide dough in half. Press each half into a 3x12-inch oblong on an ungreased baking sheet (line with parchment paper if you like; prevents sticking and makes for easy clean up). Set aside.


Puff:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 eggs

Place flour in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in almond extract, and with the mixer running on low, pour the water all at once over the flour. When the flour and water are combined, turn the mixer up to medium speed and with it still running, beat in each egg, one at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Spread batter equally over the two pastry crusts on the baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly puffed and golden. (Watch carefully toward end of baking time. I baked mine for 45 minutes--as stated in the original recipe--and I think it overcooked.) Cool for 10 minutes before icing. (The puffs will collapse a bit upon cooling; that’s fine.)


Icing:
2-2 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon soft butter
¼ cup cream (perhaps a bit more)
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted

To make icing, combine powdered sugar, butter, cream, and extracts, and blend until smooth (add extra cream, a small amount at a time, if icing is too stiff). Spread over warm, not hot, pastry. Top with sliced almonds. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be made one day ahead.


No comments: